(a) Generally. The superior court may, on its own initiative or on motion of a party, enlarge or shorten the time within which an act must be done in a particular case in order to serve the ends of justice, subject to the restrictions in section (c).

(b) Procedure for Motion. A party moving to extend or reduce time shall file a written motion with the Superior Court and serve it upon all non-moving parties. The motion shall state (1) the date the act is scheduled or required to occur; (2) the new date requested; and (3) the specific reasons for the motion. The motion shall be considered without oral argument unless called for by the superior court. A non-moving party may respond to the motion in writing. A response must be filed with the superior court and served upon the moving party within five days after service of the motion to extend or reduce time.

(c) Restrictions on Extension of Time.

(1) The superior court will only in extraordinary circumstances and to prevent a gross miscarriage of justice extend the time within which a party must file a notice of appeal. The superior court will ordinarily hold that the desirability of finality of decisions outweighs the privilege of a litigant to obtain an extension of time under this section. A motion to extend time is determined by the superior court to which the untimely notice of appeal is directed.

(2) The superior court will not enlarge the time provided in rule 9.2 within which the superior court enters and transmits its decision.

(d) Terms. The remedy for violation of these rules is set forth in rule 10.1. The superior court may condition the exercise of its authority under this rule by imposing terms as provided in rule 10.1.

[Adopted effective September 1, 1998.]